By combining the efforts of leading scientists of MIPT and researchers-practitioners of the company Yandex, the Center of Innovative Educational Technologies has prepared a unique specialization in the area of data analysis and machine learning, which is based on the platform developed by the company Coursera.
The first available specialization course named “Mathematics and Python for Data Analysis” is designed for introduction to basic mathematical concepts necessary for data analysis and for obtaining initial programming skills using Python programming language. The course consists of two major parts. The first part of the course is practical, it is dedicated to Python programming language and introduction to the language syntax and ideology, learning the skills of writing simple programs, and also obtaining the knowledge of libraries, which are often used in practice for data analysis, for example: NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib and Pandas. The second part of the course is devoted to such areas of mathematics as linear algebra, mathematical analysis, optimization techniques, and the theory of probability. Whereby, the emphasis is made on explanation of mathematical concepts and their application in practice, rather than on the development of complex formulas and theorem proving.
Like all courses developed on Coursera platform, this course is also based on using video materials, which alternate with different types of activity — from the text to programmable tasks with automatic checking and assignments that suggest the mutual evaluation.
Specialization “Machine Learning and Data Analysis” is taught by the following persons:
- Konstantin Vorontsov — Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Professor, Head of the Department of Intelligent Systems, teacher of the Data Analysis School (DAS) — Computing Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Vadim Strizhov — Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, associate professor of MIPT, leading scientist-researcher — the Computing Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Evgeny Ryabenko — Candidate of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, associate professor of MIPT, lecturer of MSU (Moscow State University) and teacher of DAS, data scientist Yandex Data Factory.
- Evgeny Sokolov — lecturer of MSU, HSE (Higher School of Economics), DAS, Head of the research group Yandex Data Factory.
- Victor Cantor — Senior Lecturer of MIPT, DAS teacher, Head of the research group Yandex Data Factory.
- Emily Dral — lecturer of MIPT, PFUR (Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia), data scientist Yandex Data Factory.
Most of the materials from the specialization courses are available free of charge. However a number of assignments, the completion of which is necessary for obtaining a certificate, are available only after the payment. If you wish to have access to all assignments and obtain a certificate, but are not able to pay for them, then we recommend to take advantage of the financial support program — Coursera Financial Aid.
For students of MIPT, specialization training is completely free of charge — to activate this course, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“As far as we are concerned, this is the next logical step in the development of open education. We do not just teach people certain disciplines - we allow them to obtain a new speciality And we are talking about a profession which is in high demand. In the future, we will continue to focus on creating specializations which are sought after”, said Taras Pustovoy, director of the Center of innovative educational technologies.