Prof. Valery LISITSA (MIPT), prof. Roland STAMM (universityAxe-Marseille,France)
- Introduction. Types of plasma states: ideal-non-ideal (coupled), classical-degenerated plasmas. Plasma states in nature and laboratory. The role of low temperature plasma in modern thermonuclear installations. Atomic processes in plasmas: structure of atoms and ions, atomic units system.
- Plasma thermodynamics. Boltzman, Maxwell, Sakha, Plank distributions. Criteria of thermodynamic equilibrium applicability in atomic-molecular systems.
- Plasma microfield. Nearest neighbour and Holtsmark distributions. Microfield distribution in coupled plasmas. Methods of distribution investigations: model microfield method, method of molecular dynamics. The role of microfield in plasma diagnostics.
- Elementary processes: elastic scattering, cross sections, rates etc. Relaxation in plasmas: e-e, e-i collisions, mean free path lengths, frequencies, times. Inelastic collisions: Messay parameter, resonance processes. Two level system. Born and adiabatic approximations.
- Ionization by electron collisions. Thomson formula. Three body recombination and step ionization. Autoionization states, processes due to complex creation, dielectronic recombination.
- Physical kinetics of plasma. Boltzman equation in tau approximation. Moment equations (continuity, Eiler etc.) Solution of diffusion equation in sphere (average squared of displacement).
- Transport phenomena: diffusion, thermo-conductivity, viscosity. Transport in plasmas: mobility, conductivity (Ohm law), ambipolar diffusion.
- Dielectric permeability of plasma: static (Debye) and dynamic screenings. Screening of electric field in plasmas. Magnetic hydrodynamics: survey of equations and their physical sense. Magnetic pressure and its role in plasma confinement.
- Collective phenomena in plasmas: oscillations and waves, principle of selfconsistent field, Vlasov equation, dielectric permittivity. Plasma models of complex atoms.
- Population kinetics of atomic states in low temperature plasmas. Corona and Boltzman limits. Radiative-collisional model. Ionization balance. Plasma with fluctuating temperature.
- Plasma radiation: mechanisms, intensities of free-free and free-bound transitions, oscillator strengths. Emission and absorption coefficients. Kirchoff law. The role of radiation in energy balance and diagnostics of plasmas.
- Broadening of atomic spectral lines in plasmas: broadening mechanisms (static, impact). Numerical modeling of spectral line shapes: model microfield method, fluctuating frequency, molecular dynamics. The role of line shapes in plasma diagnostics.
- Radiation transport. Optical depth. Transport equation. Transition to black body case. Transport in non-equilibrium plasma. Biberman-Holstein equation and some its solutions.
- Applications to investigations and modeling of specific plasma systems: gas discharge, Earth magnetosphere, Sun corona, edge plasma of thermonuclear installations, dense coupled plasmas.